The monument was dedicated for the brave men who fought with the 1st West Virginia Artillery, Battery C (also known as the Pierpont Battery) for their actions during the Battle of Gettysburg . The monument is located southwest of the town of Gettysburg in the National Cemetery, along Upper Cemetery Drive. The marker was erected by the State of West Virginia and the monument marks the position occupied by Battery C on July 2 and 3, 1863. The unit organized on January 25 to March 30, 1862, and was involved in many battles of the U.S. Civil War. The officers in charge of the unit included Captain Frank Buell, First Lieutenants Wallace Hill and Dennis O’Leary.
Formerly the 18th Ohio Infantry Company B, the unit became
part of Third Division, Eleventh Corps Battery C in the Army of the Potomac. The
unit armed with ten-pound parrot Rifles fired 1,120 rounds during the engagement
with the ten-pound Parrot Rifle, which was much more accurate than the smooth
bore Napoleon style smooth bore cannons used in the Civil War.
After the fierce fighting at the Battle of Chancellorsville,
the Union artillery unit arrived at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania and fought
Confederate forces on 2-3 July while positioned at Cemetery Hill. The battery
received enemy fire from all directions, but they stood fast at their post
during the battle. Even with the ferocity of the battle at the battle, the only
unit losses includes, Stephen J. Braddock and Charles Lacey who were killed in battle,
and James Loufman and John Hill were both wounded, but recovered.