Keating Hotel Building
The Keating Building features a steam-powered elevator that was the first and still longest-running in San Diego.
The building under construction in 1890.
Backstory and Context
The building was designed by the Reid Brothers and is five stories in a Romanesque Revival style. The Keating was one of the most ornate buildings in the city at the time of its completion, leading to many of the city's attorneys and professionals. The building was also home to the San Diego Public library prior to the completion of their building at 8th and Avenue and E Street which served as the home of the library until the completion of their current building in 2013.
The Keating Building was home to the first elevator in the city. Today, this elevator is the only steam-powered elevator in the region. The elevator made headlines and led many of the leading attorneys and professionals to desire an office in the top floors of the Keating Building. The building served as office space for Henry Lord Gay, the founder of the American Institute of Architects. T.J. Sloan, a famous photographer, also maintained an office at the Keating Building among many of the leading professionals in the city.
Today the hotel is owned by Pininfarina, the Italian design team responsible for Maserati and Ferrari. It was their first endeavor into the hospitality industry. The Keating Hotel is the first hotel project for the company.
The Keating Hotel website, accessed March 20, 2017. http://www.thekeating.com/about
Willhoit, Sandee. Everybody loves a lover. San Diego Downtown News. Accessed March 23, 2017. http://sandiegodowntownnews.com/everybody-loves-a-lover/.