Clio Logo

The Academy of Music was designed by Frye and Chesterman architectural firm and built in 1905. It is one of the only surviving turn-of-the-century theatres left in Virginia. In 2008, it received $245,000 from the Lynchburg Academy of Fine Arts for renovations. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1969.


  • The Academy of Music
  • The Academy of Music ca. 1920

Built in 1905, the Academy of Music was designed by local architecture firm Frye and Chesterman. The theatre building stands at three stories tall, constructed in the Beaux Arts style. The interior was built in the Neoclassical style and accommodates a full stage.

During its heyday, its stage saw performances from American and European performers, such as Polish pianist Ignace Paderewski, French actress Sarah Burnhardt, and American soprano singer Alma Gluck. It is one of the only surviving turn-of-the-century theatres still standing in Virginia.

It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1969. As indicated on the nomination form, it is owned and maintained by Liberty University. In 2008, $245,000 was appropriated for renovations.

National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. Virginia Department of Historic Resources. http://www.dhr.Virginia.gov/registers/Cities/Lynchburg/118-0001_AcademyofMusic_1969_Final_Nomination.pdf.