Bragassa Toy Store
The Gragassa Toy Store was built in 1876 by Francisco Bragassa as a toy store and confectionery. During the Reconstruction, the store was at the center of a growing commercial center, a product of the economic boom that followed the Civil War. The Bragassa Family retained ownership of the property until 1987 and was purchased by the Lynchburg Historical Foundation in 1988. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
Backstory and Context
The current building is two stories tall and made of brick and stone. It has undergone significant amounts of renovations since its construction and the original wooden portions are almost completely gone. The first floor was evenly split between the confectionery and the toy store, while the second floor of the building served as housing for the Bragassa family until 1979.
The building was purchased from the Bragassa family in 1988 by the Lynchburg Historical Foundation and restored. In 2008, it was occupied by Kid's Haven: A Center for Grieving Children. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.