Ingham County Courthouse
The Ingham County Courthouse in Mason, Michigan, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
Backstory and Context
Lansing Township was chosen as the state capitol in 1846. It was a somewhat surprising choice, but was selected because of its central location and an offer of land near the Grand River. As the area to build up, county government needed to be established. Mason, not Lansing, was chosen for its central location as well. It gave people from all over the county better access to local government.
The building, which was built at a cost of $96,678, was designed by architect Edwyn Bowd. Berea sandstone was used for the two-story building. The roof features a square dome with a clock and a statue of a golden eagle at the top.
The interior of the courthouse was also used in the film “Real Steel,” that starred Hugh Jackman.
Ingham County Michigan website, accessed March 14, 2017. http://ingham.org/About.aspx
American Courthouses website, accessed March 14, 2017. http://www.courthouses.co/us-states/m/michigan/ingham-county/