Located on the western side of Tucson, Sentinel Peak, which is a large hill overlooking Tucson, has long been an important feature of the area's cultural history. For thousands of years, Native Americans, and later European and American settlers, used the hill to lookout for intruders. The peak is also referred to A Mountain for the large stone letter 'A' built by students of the University of Arizona in 1915. They built the A to celebrate the football team's victory over Pamona College. The point on the map is the location of the A. Below it is a historical marker describing the significance of the peak and its history. Just to the south is another marker commemorating the peak; this was erected by the local chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1933. The peak is now a park and their are roads and trails leading up to the summit. At the base of the peak below the A is a walled garden recreated after the one established by Father Eusebio Francisco Kino in the 17th century. There, visitors will find a wide variety of crops representing the Native American, Spanish, Chinese, Mexican, and Territorial-Anglo cultures that have influenced the region.
When the Spanish arrived in the 17th century (Father Eusebio Francisco Kino was the first known European to encounter the area), they encountered the O'odham Indians who called themselves Schuk-Shon. The Spanish pronounced this as Tucscon and this became the name of the city.