The Plymouth Congregational Church was founded as an abolitionist church in 1853. The current church building was dedicated in 1859. Architect and Syracuse native, Horatio Nelson White, designed the church; he also oversaw a major redesign in 1869-1871. The stained glass windows are original, dating from 1859 and 1871. Additionally, the church also features a Möller pipe organ built in 1930; it is a rare example of a symphonic type of organ and as such is priceless. The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997 for its Romanesque Revival architecture and association with the abolitionist movement.
The Plymouth Congregational Church was founded by local abolitionists and took its name from the church in Brooklyn where famed abolitionist Henry Ward Beecher was pastor. Many of its early members were active in the Underground Railroad. Today it is part of the United Church of Christ, a denomination known for its progressive stance on many issues.