First Church of God (Third Presbyterian Church)
The Third Presbyterian Church, now the Blacksburg First Church of God, was constructed in 1904. It was sold to the First Church of God in 1959 after a fire destroyed their original church building on the corner of Draper and Roanoke Streets (today the site of a 7-11) in 1958. The building is within Blacksburg's original sixteen squares and is distinguishable by Tiffany stained glass windows. Presently, the Presbyterians worship at sanctuary on Eakin Street that houses one of the largest congregations in town.
Backstory and Context
"Blacksburg Presbyterian Church." Blacksburg Museum & Cultural Foundation. Accessed March 8, 2017. http://blacksburgmuseum.org/about/historic-churches/blacksburg-presbyterian-church/.
Bodell, Dorothy H. "A Special Place for 200 Years: Blacksburg Social Life and Customs." Special Collections at Virginia Tech. Last modified October 26, 1998. http://spec.lib.vt.edu/bicent/recoll/histbook/bodell.htm.
"The Sixteen Squares of Blacksburg". YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB1zBWt4KVw, published by the Town of Blacksburg, VA, http://tobweb.org/WalkingTour/.
"National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Blacksburg Historic District". Virginia Department of Historic Resources. December 1990. Accessed February 28, 2017.
"First Church of God, Blacksburg," image by Steve Tatum http://www.flickr.com/photos/setatum/7150899521 and http://www.flickr.com/photos/setatum/7182976270.