Named in honor of the eighteenth president of Mars Hill College, Blackwell Hall houses the university's administration including President Dr. Dan Lunsford's office. Blackwell Hall was built on the site of the former Spilman Home for Girls and Treat Annex.
Built on the site that once housed the Spilman Home for Girls and Treat
Annex, Blackwell Hall honors the eighteenth president of Mars Hill
College, Dr. Hoyt Blackwell (1890-1988). Upon his arrival to campus I
1966, President Dr. Fred Bentley began to question the functionality and
need for the under-utilized Treat Annex (Spilman Home for Girls had
been demolished in 1935 to make room for the Dr. W. F. Robinson Memorial
Infirmary). Described as opportunity meeting the college’s need for a
new administration building, administration made the decision to
construct a new building following a fire that claimed the Treat Annex
in 1977. Located in the center of campus, school officials made the
decision to name the building in honor of Dr. Blackwell who had served
as college president from June 1938 to June 1966. Designed by Six
Associates, an Asheville based architectural firm, construction on the
new three-story structure began in the summer of 1977 and completed in
1978. Today, Blackwell Hall still serves as the administration building
for Mars Hill University and houses the president’s office as well as
several other administrative departments and offices.
A particular unique feature of Blackwell Hall is a three-story ceramic mural that depicts traditional Appalachian household and farming implements. Designed and created by Mars Hill College alumni Douglas Ferguson, visitors may see the mural if they enter from the main entrance on first floor. Mr. Ferguson, Mars Hill College class of 1933, went on to open Pigeon Forge pottery with his father-in-law after serving in the U.S. Army at Oak Ridge, Tennessee. Ferguson would go on to become a celebrated ceramist, which is well deserved if one studies his Tree of Heritage. This piece includes pioneer artifacts from Ferguson’s mountain home inside the first floor foyer of Blackwell Hall and farm implements on the outside portion of the piece. The 1856 college building stands between the two sections of the piece.