The first barracks of what would become Marine Corp Base Quantico would be built in 1917, occupied by 91 enlisted men and 4 officers. This would be expanded into a series of schools after 1920 that would be consolidated into the Marine Corps University in 1989. Quantico would be the first to house the Corps' first aircraft wing and first helicopter squadron, the latter of which still serves as the President's rapid transportation (Marine One).
The Marine Corps Base Quantico Historic District contains 239 contributing buildings, sites, and objects and 188 non-contributing, over approximately 55,148 acres. While the majority of the contents of the base are related to the Marine Corps, other organizations make use of the facilities, including, but not limited, to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, and the Defense Intelligence Agency. The historic district was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.