New York State Court of Appeals
This Greek Revival building was constructed on 1842 to house state offices, such as the Comptroller and the State Architect. It was designed by local architect Henry Rector. It served in this capacity for 75 years. After refurbishments in 1916, it was officially dedicated as the Court of Appeals home on January 8, 1917.
Backstory and Context
When the Court of Appeals moved here in 1917, from its previous home in the State Capital building, it brought it's courtroom with it. The chamber was designed in 1881 by Henry Hobson Richardson with striking oak furniture and one of a kind fixtures, such as a fireplace made out of Mexican onyx. This room was dissembled and moved into the new building piece by piece. It is now considered to be one of the finest remaining 19th century government chambers.
Refurbishments and expansions were undertaken in the late 1950s and again in the early 2000s. These added two wings on either side of the original building, increased and reorganized interior office space and provided updates to systems like plumbing and wiring.
Photo of Facade: By Daniel Case (Own work) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Photo of Chamber: By Daniel Case (Own work) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Photo of temple: By Steve Swayne [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons