The Sylvania, built in 1906, is an historic apartment complex in Indianapolis. The building faces 801 North Pennsylvania Street. It was built by Elizabeth Palmer, a wealthy widow who moved to Indianapolis a few years prior. She built the property as an investment after demolishing her own large family home at the site, a popular building trend at the time. At the time of its construction, the Sylvania was directly across the street from the Girls Classical School, making the apartments a popular choice for well-heeled young Indianapolis women.
Backstory and Context
The Sylvania consisted of two three-story detached buildings, with two large units per floor. This style was known as the eastern flat, an architectural style that was particularly common in the north side's "flat district."
In the 1980s, when the Sylvania was in consideration for the National Register of Historic Places, the buildings were restored to their original state, with some modern additions. The buildings have restored original wood elements, an oak staircase, and brass fixtures. The apartments were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.