Flanner House became the first settlement house for African-Americans in Indianapolis, and offered a number of community programs. One of its first projects was the 1908 establishmnet of a home for unwed mothers and their children.
In 1936, the Tuskegee Institute-trained Cleo Blackburn became the director of Flanner House. Blackburn had a strong belief in teaching individuals to help themselves, and his self-help philosophy became the guiding principle of the organization.
Under Blackburn's leadership, Flanner House gained national attention for several of its programs. In 1946--shortly after the publication of the Indianapolis Study--Flanner initiated a sweat equity housing project known as Flanner Homes. The project assisted low-income African-American war veterans in building their own homes, and the project became a model for others around the country.
In 1954, Blackburn created a program known as the Fundamental Education project, which focused on creating responsible citizens by teaching pride and initiative. This, too, garnered national attention for Blackburn and Flanner House, and Blackburn was able to secure several federal grants for Flanner House as a result.
In 1979, Flanner House moved to its current location at 2424 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive. Throughout the 1970s and 1980s, Flanner House continued to add programs which would address the needs of the community. Flanner Homes was named a National Register Historic District in 2003.