Church Street (Stop F)
Backstory and Context
Since its establishment in 1798, Blacksburg has grown well beyond its original limits. The original town of Blacksburg occupied sixteen square blocks, each made up of four lots. These lots are bounded by Jackson Street on the northwest side, Wharton Street on the northeast, Draper Road on the southwest, and Clay Street on the southeast. Within the square are several main thoroughfares including Main Street, Church Street, Roanoke, and Lee. Many of the streets terminate in T-intersections (nine in total), which help give an idea of the limits of the original town.
"Blacksburg Historic District Contributing Structures List". Town of Blacksburg, VA.
"The Sixteen Squares of Blacksburg". YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB1zBWt4KVw, published by the Town of Blacksburg, VA, http://tobweb.org/WalkingTour/.
"National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Blacksburg Historic District". Virginia Department of Historic Resources. December 1990. Accessed February 28, 2017.
Christ Episcopal Church; image by Jerrye & Roy Klotz, MD - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=39584828.