Samuel Poage McAfee Memorial Cottage (Hilltop House)
Named in memory of the son of Dr. John A. McAfee and Mrs. Anna McAfee, the Samuel Poage McAfee Memorial Cottage was built in 1897 as one of the earliest buildings on campus. Nicknamed "Hilltop House" it served as home to the McAfee's until Mrs. McAfee's death in 1920, which it then became home to various other faculty families and staff members. Later on in life, 1967-68, it became a faculty clubhouse. It was razed in 1968 to make way for a purposed library, Norrington Hall.
A photo of Hilltop House.
Newspaper article of Hilltop's demolition, along side two other buildings. Date of article is June 17, 1968.
- "Hilltop House to Be Torn Down." K.C. Times(Kansas City), 06/17/68.
- Fishburn Archives and Special collections