Paulson House - California Pioneers of Santa Clara County
The Queen Anne style Paulson House (built in 1889) is home to the California Pioneers of Santa Clara County (established 1875), which is dedicated to the preservation of and education about local history. The house was moved to History Park in 1986 and restored through the joint efforts of the California Pioneers and History San Jose. The front door of the house was hand-carved by Mr. Paulson, and the rooms are furnished with artifacts from local pioneers.
Backstory and Context
The California Pioneers of Santa Clara County
The society was organized by 274 charter members on June 22, 1875, two years before California gained its statehood, and met for the first time at O'Donnell's Gardens. When California was admitted to the Union, San Jose hosted a substantial parade and barbecue organized by the Pioneers, with guest societies including the Pioneers of San Francisco, the Native Sons, and the Mexican Veterans. Over 10,000 people attended. The Pioneers also held an annual reunion of the surviving Jayhawkers, a party of gold rushers who crossed Death Valley and were rescued from near-starvation near San Jose in February of 1850. In addition to putting on large-scale celebrations and social events, the society has historically contributed to charitable causes, including pauper burials and assistance for the infirm; the Pioneers also established a library, archives, and collections of minerals, heirlooms, and other artifacts related to the history of Santa Clara County. Sometime before 1922, membership was extended to include anyone who had resided in California for more than fifty years.
2. History San Jose. "Paulson House." Accessed January 8, 2017. http://historysanjose.org/wp/plan-your-visit/history-park/paulson-house/.
3. Sawyers, Eugene T. History
of Santa Clara County, Los Angeles, California. Historic Record Company. 1922. http://californiapioneers.com/PioneersHistory/SawyersThePioneers_1922.pdf.