Funded by a bequest by Webster City resident Kendall Young, this Beaux Arts style building was completed in 1905. Young donated the $50,000 needed to construct the building and an additional fund that facilitated the purchase of books and the operation of a public library. The library has expanded its services since opening in 1905, but the original building features such as gold marble columnns from Africa continue to impress visitors and residents. The building also features terrazzo and mosaic floors, stained glass windows, and a stained glass dome.
When Kendall Young passed away in 1896, the citizens of Webster City were surprised to learn that Mr. Young had left his estate valued at $150,000 to the city. Young's will stipulated that these funds were to be used for the establishment and maintenance of a free public library.