Walter Newman constructed this log structure as a home and operated a tavern with extra rooms for weary travelers. The oldest log-hewn structure in the region, the Mansion House is now operated as a museum by the Colonel Charles Lewis Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. This local history organization continues to meet in the former parlor of the home which includes many rooms filled with historic artifacts. The log home and museum is part of Tu-Endie-Wei State Park and is open to the public from May through October. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Point Pleasant Battleground in 1985.
An early settler named
Walter Newman journeyed to the Point Pleasant area sometime around 1796. His
wife did not join him at first; according to legend, she said she would only
follow if he built her a mansion. In order to entice her to come, Newman built a
large log home for the family. It consisted of two stories, a basement, an
attic, and several rooms. It is believed to be the first hand hewn log house
built in Mason County and the Kanawha Valley. While waiting for his wife to
arrive, Newman began operating the house as a tavern for travelers; supposedly
he charged fifty cents a night.
The Mansion House, as
it later became known, survived for the next century, with additions and
upgrades being made over the years. At the start of the twentieth century, efforts
began being made to preserve the Point Pleasant battlefield on which the house
stood. These efforts, spearheaded by newspaper editor Livia Poffenbarger,
controversially centered on trying to have Point Pleasant designated as the
first battle of the American Revolution. In 1901 Poffenbarger organized the
Colonel Charles Lewis chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and
launched a project to restore the Mansion House to its original condition. That
same year the West Virginia state legislature passed a bill establishing
Tu-Endie-Wei State Park; one provision designated the Colonel Charles Lewis
Chapter to be the custodians of the house. Sometime around 1911 overhangs were added to the house for protection. In 1985 it was included with
the Point Pleasant Battleground when it was added to the National Register of
Today the Mansion House
is open to the public on a regular basis as part of Tu-Endie-Wei State Park.
One portion of the home contains a visitor’s center and gift shop for the park.
Other rooms have been furnished with colonial and early American pieces,
including what is believed to be one of the oldest clocks to cross the
Appalachian Mountains. Also on display are Native American artifacts and other
items relevant to the area’s local history. The local Daughters of the American
Revolution chapter continue to hold their meetings here as well.