Lost Creek Railroad Depot
the restored B&O Depot
The B&O Depot was built in 1892 and its renovation was completed in 2005.
WV Historical Marker
Backstory and Context
In 1915 the Lost Creek Railroad Depot was the largest shipping point for cattle in West Virginia. In the 1930’s, West Virginia was one of the largest beef cattle producing states.
In 1892, construction was finished in 1895. It was recognized in the years of 1892 through 1955 to be the most significant under Criterion A for transportation. The B&O is the oldest railroad in Harrison County, and construction of the railroad was completed in 1878.
The main line of the B&O runs through Lost Creek and was used for local businesses and stock yards. The Lost Creek B&O railroad depot also helped brought up the glass and coal mining industries in Harrison County.
B&O Depot. The Historical Marker Database. Accessed February 20, 2017. http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=35331.
Libraries, WVU. “Train Station, Lost Creek, W. Va.” Train Station, Lost Creek, W. Va. - West Virginia History OnView | WVU Libraries, wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/wvulibraries:69592. Accessed 31 Aug. 2017.
Powers, Jolynn. The Lost Creek, West Virginia Depot Restoration is Complete 2015. West Virginia Mountain Mama. December 16, 2015. Accessed March 05, 2017. https://jolynnsmountainmama.wordpress.com/2015/12/16/the-lost-creek-west-Virginia-depot-restoration-....
"B & O Depot." The Historical Marker Database. Accessed September 22, 2020. https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=35331.