Greenfield Post Office
Construction of the Greenfield Post Office
Construction of the post office
The post office today
View of the post office, circa 1938
Backstory and Context
Abraham Freshour moved to Greenfield in 1824 and operated a saddle shop, though he later changed his business to general merchandise. Soon, he was thought to be the richest man in town. He built a large colonial-style stone house just east of his general store on the site of the present Greenfield Post Office. His son, James, a Civil War veteran, inherited the home and the business, which he operated until the 1880s. After his death, he left funds for a Civil War monument. It was dedicated in 1907 and sits in the Greenfield Cemetery.
Greenfield’s post office was originally located in the Town Hall, built in 1876. As the volume of mail the town received grew, Greenfield became a First-Class post office on July 1, 1928 with an income of $48,714. By 1937, that amount grew to $64,349. That same year the U.S. government bought the Freshour property to build a new post office. Much of the home’s Greenfield limestone was used in the construction of the new post office. The completed building was dedicated on October 13, 1938. One year later, the post office’s income jumped to $117,798, due in part to new factories in town, but mostly due to the Wilknit Hosiery Company, which shipped large amounts of hosiery by mail to its salesmen across the country.