Clio Logo
This is a contributing entry for Parkville Missouri Walking Tour and only appears as part of that tour.Learn More.
Chaos Boutique is a clothing and gift store. Erected in 1937, according the historical plaque and “A Walking Tour of Historic Parkville” pamphlet. T.F. Broadhurst built the structure and operated a grocery store until his death in 1942. His daughter, Frances, continued the business until 1951. It has also been a library, a bar, and a photo studio.

113 Main Street Parkville, MO Chaos Boutique

113 Main Street Parkville, MO
Chaos Boutique
     The Broadhurst family was prominent among Parkville's business leaders for over sixty years. During the 1880s, Columbus Broadhurst began his retail career working in his cousin's general store in Parkville. When his cousin decided to move to Clay County in 1892, he offered his store to Columbus in lieu of salary owed to him. His two sons, T. Frank and William, assisted Columbus to operate Broadhurst's Grocery. The business expanded over the years to include a Reo car and truck agency, farm implement sales, and hardware, in addition to groceries. The Broadhursts also operated the city scale, used to weigh produce for farmers.
     Frank took over the business in the early 1900s and leased a building on the south side of Main Street. In 1937, he constructed his own building at 113 Main. Frank was very active in civic affairs, and is remembered fondly for his support of the free Saturday night movies that were shown on a screen erected on Main Street. Townsfolk would set up their chairs on the street and enjoy films each week during the summer. 
     Frank was killed in a tragic accident in 1942, and his daughter, Frances Neill Broadhurst, operated the store until 1951 when the stock and equipment were sold to Vawter's Grocery at 111 Main.
     Other businesses that occupied 113 Main include a public library, a photography studio, a neighborhood bar, an upholstery shop, office space for the Platte County Gazette, and a coffee and fudge business.1
1Parkville History Committee