Dr. Underwood practiced medicine here until shortly before his death in 1954. After World War II, his son Dr. Johnson Underwood, Jr. joined him briefly before moving his office to North Kansas City. In 1956, pharmacist Ernie Scholdberg bought the drug department and filled prescriptions at 109 Main until he moved to another location in 1961. Dr. Underwood's two daughters, Ruby and Roxye, continued to operate the soda fountain and sundries business until 1963. In 1994, the building's facade was renovated by David Williams to reflect the historic era.
Owners prior to W.D. Laney included Campbell and Holt, and J.W. Stokes.1