Built in 1912, this Temple is home of Maine's oldest, continuously functioning Jewish congregation. A conservative congregation, Beth Israel was founded in 1888. This is the second synagogue belonging to the congregation. The first one was built in 1907 but was destroyed in the great Bangor fire of April 30, 1911. The congregation got work on the current structure and completed it in 1912. Beth Israel was an orthodox congregation until 1948 when it adopted the changes of the conservative movement.