Designed by the famed architectural firm of Rubush and Hunter, Indianapolis’ Old City Hall was dedicated on December 21, 1910. The 68,000 square-foot, five-story classical revival building housed the city offices until 1962. The Indiana State Museum then occupied the building from 1966 until 2001. It then served as the interim Central Library for the Marion County Public Library System until 2007. Since then it has only been used sporadically as an art gallery. At the time of writing, there are plans to redevelop the site as a 21c Museum Hotel. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 and as historically significant by the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission in 2017.
The push for
the construction of a city hall was initiated by Mayor Charles Bookwalter in
1908. An architectural contest then took
place, which was won by Rubush and Hunter.
The cornerstone, with a famous Bookwalter quote inscribed on it, was
laid in 1909 and the building was completed the next year at a total cost of
over $800,000. The Indiana limestone
exterior features two-story, recessed Roman Doric columnns along the second and
third floors and a set of bronze doors in triplicate as the main entrance. The famous limestone eagles that flank the
entry stairs came from the Traction Terminal Building and were added in
1968. One of them was damaged by
construction work and replaced in 2012.
highlight of the building’s interior is its large, 85-foot tall rotunda that is
topped by a 750 square-foot circular glass dome. The marble floor of the rotunda sports an
inlaid compass rose design that once had a gravitational pendulum swinging
above it. The interior also features
marble staircases and the floors are inlaid with colored marble. Many walls contain marble wainscoting panels,
pilasters, mahogany woodwork and zodiac animal murals painted by William Behran’s
Art Firm of Cincinnati. The city’s
offices contained hardwood floors and the second-floor mayor’s office featured
a hidden staircase to the first-floor.
served as city hall until the offices moved to the City-County Building in
1962. It then sat vacant for four years until
the Indiana State Museum moved in. The
museum then vacated the building for its new home at White River State Park in
2001. It then housed the over 700,000
volumes of the Marion County Central Library until 2007. Since that time, many ideas have been floated
regarding the buildings future, to include condos, an art museum, and a
casino. In 2013, 80 historic
preservationists spent 7 hours of a confab attempting to develop a plan for the
Old City Hall. In 2015, the city, which
owns the building, cut a deal with the Louisville-based 21c Hotel Museums to
redevelop the building and add an adjacent 150-room hotel. The $55 million redevelopment plan includes a
$9.1 million city loan as well as a $11.3 million federal loan through the
Department of Housing and Urban Development.
As of February, 2017 the plan has been delayed by financing issues.