Established in 2007, the Palestine Cultural Center for Peace serves as a mosque for Muslims to worship, a venue for interfaith events, and promotes Palestinian history, culture and politics. As its name indicates, it also advocates for peace and understanding between Israel and Palestine. The center is located in the former historic Allston Congregational Church, which was built in 1891 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997. Local architect Eugene L. Clark designed the church in the Romanesque Revival style and was the only religious structure he created (he was known for his residential work). The church congregation moved away in 2003 and the center opened in 2007.