In the fall of 1835, Rev. Merrill constructed the first permanent missionary complex west of the Missouri River. The buildings included a school house and a council house, to be used when the Indians visited the mission. His living quartersconsisted a a bedrom and kitchen, which was attached to an adjoining structure that was used as a sitting room and a study. All of the buildings were constructed of hand hewed logs obtained locally. Each building was provided with a stone or brick chimney. At the present time, only one stone chimney remains standing.
The mission closed in 1840, when Moses Merrill died suddenly. Merrill's widow returned to the East and most of the Oto moved to a new village sourth of the Platte. A few moved nearer to the town of Bellevue.