A fire destroyed the wooden synagogue in 1829. A larger brick one was built in 1841. Germans began to arrive in American in the 1840s and among them were many Jews. The increased population of Jews prompted the construction of the current synagogue. The congregation began a gradual shift towards Reform Judaism in 1868 and eventually joined the Union of American Hebrew Congregations. The addition was built in 1957 and later expanded in 2002-2003.