Lillian & Albert Small Jewish Museum
Operated by the Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington, the Lillian & Albert Small Jewish Museum is dedicated to preserving and celebrating Washington's Jewish history. he museum collection consists of photographs, personal papers, oral histories, ritual objects, congregation and synagogue records, books, and ritual objects. The museum is located in the historic former Adas Israel Congregation synagogue, which was built in 1876 and is the oldest remaining synagogue in the city. The museum is presently closed because it is in the process of being relocated one block south to the intersection of 3rd and F St. NW- one of many parts of the Capital Crossing complex that is being constructed in this part of the city. A museum addition will be constructed as well as part of the process. T
Backstory and Context
The congregation moved to another location in 1908 and the synagogue was then used for commercial purposes. Interest in the building grew among Jewish congregation members in the late 1950s. In the mid-1960s, the Metro system wanted to demolish the building. Thankfully, this did not happen and the building was moved to 3rd and G St. The move to F Street will occur in 2017.
Taylor, Nancy. "Adas Israel Synagogue." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. https://npgallery.nps.gov/pdfhost/docs/NRHP/Text/69000288.pdf.