Carver Theater (New Orleans)
The historic Carver Theater was constructed in 1950 to house concerts, plays, off-broadway shows, films, conventions, graduations, Mardi Gras balls, dance recitals, corporate events and private parties. The theater is named after the famous African-American scientist, George Washington Carver. Recently remodeled, following damage from Hurricane Katrina, the theater was resold and now functions today much as it did in the 1950s.
Interior of the theater, main auditorium. Circa 1950s-1960s
Exterior restoration work being done
The theater soon after it opened
The theater as it looks today
The theater after being hit by Hurricane Katrina
Backstory and Context
The Carver Theater, named after George Washington Carver, is on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built in 1950, as a state-of-the-art theaters for blacks in New Orleans. The Carver Theater retired as a movie theater in 1980 and became a housing office operation and medical clinic. The theater sustained heavy damage from six feet of water during Hurricane Katrina. The building was completely renovated and opened in 2014 after a $8 million renovation. During the renovation, the buildings wood frame and drywall were removed. The exterior architectural details were preserved, including the display windows which once held movie posters.
"Carver Theater developer sets April 30 opening for historic New Orleans venue". nola.com.
"Carver Theater reopens after $8 million restoration". wdsu.com.