Fort Crook/ Offutt Air Force Base
This historic army post was finished in 1896 when the first soldiers arrived. The soldiers from the fort participated in the Spanish-American War, World War 1 and World War 2. It was the site of the Martin Bomber Plant, which was used to build B-29s during the Second World War. After the war, the fort was renamed Offutt Air force Base and become the home of the Strategic Air command. Many of the original buildings still stand and are used as residences of the senior command staff (ie General's Row).
Backstory and Context
While the base is no longer open for public tours. The Sarpy County Museum does have a replica scale model of Fort Crook from 1937. Additionally, they have a video overview of the base and its history.