Congregation Bnai Israel
Congregation Bnai Israel is one of two Jewish congregations in Little Rock. It was founded in 1866. Its current location on Rodney Parham Road is the Congregation's fourth temple. The first was located in a rented a room in 1871. A year later, a proper temple was constructed on Center street. The third temple was built in 1897 and located on Capital Avenue. The Congregation remained there until its modern temple was built in 1975.
Backstory and Context
As for antisemitism, among other threats and intimidations, in October 1958 Sanders vowed to have scheduled worship service that was threatened to be bombed. Thankfully the service passed without incident.
Another important voice against inequality and segregation was the Women’s Emergency Committee to Open Our Schools (WEC), which was created in response to the governor's closure of all public schools in September 1958. The group,w which grew to 1,600 members and included Jewish women, called for desegregation and the reopening of the schools. A federal court ordered this to occur in June 1959.
"Little Rock, Arkansas." Goldring-Woldenberg Institute of Southern Jewish Life: Encyclopedia of Southern Jewish Communities. Accessed February 2, 2017. http://www.isjl.org/arkansas-little-rock-encyclopedia.html.