Falling Spring- Morgan's Grove
Falling Spring is one building in the complex known as Morgan's Grove, completed in 1837. Morgan's Grove was settled by Richard Morgan in 1730, with Richard's grandson Jacob Morgan constructing Falling Spring in 1837. The building would remain in the Morgan family until 1904, when it was sold to Dr. M. H. Crawford. It would be added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
Backstory and Context
Falling Spring gained it's name from the springs that runs underneath of the property, the Morgan's Spring and the Bubbling Spring. The house itself is 2 1/2 stories tall, constructed out of brick, limestone, and stucco in the Neo-Classical Revival style. A separate roof is held up over the north portico by four Ionic columnns 2 1/2 feet wide at their thickest. Another portico is covered by a 20 1/2 foot roof, supported by six more Ionic columnns. The Crawford family added a Japanese garden to the property.
The Falling Spring complex includes the house, an old springhouse over the Morgan's Spring, and a second spring. The second spring is identified by a limestone foundation, which is suspected to be the site of an ancient springhouse, and lies over the Bubbling Spring. The property borders several notable buildings, such as the Old Stone House, Richard Morgan's original property and one of the oldest houses in West Virginia.
Falling Spring NRHP Nomination Form. National Park Service. October 20, 1988. https://npgallery.nps.gov/nrhp/GetAsset?assetID=52735294-5832-48a8-b7c4-1bd370455d42.