With the rear part of the house being built in 1843 and the front part of the house being build in 1888, the Stafford House is the oldest house in Johnson County and Paintsville. Though it was built for John Stafford, it is known as the Francis M. Stafford House, after his son who inherited his property in 1869. In 1861, a holly tree was planted in front of the house and still stands today. After 1979, the house stood vacant after the death of Francis' daughter. In 2003, the state of Kentucky offered a grant of $200,000 to Paintsville in order to restore it. In 2012 it opened for tours. It is now on the National Register of Historic Places.