LeBeuf Plantation House
This stately home, built sometime between 1840-1850, is the Marine Corp's second oldest officer's residence after the Home of the Commandants at Marine Barracks in Washington, D.C., which is over 200 years old. It is named after the first owner, Martial LeBeuf, Jr. who made a living as a doctor. The house is significant because it is a rare example of a pre-Civil War plantation house. It was designed in the French Creole style and the interior features Tuscan, Greek Revival and Federal style elements. The French Creole style is represented in several features such as the tripped roof, raised basement, and French doors. The Marines have owned the house since late 2011. It is part of a large "Federal City" which is development comprised of various federal agencies, businesses, and residences. The Marines, which has established Marine Force Reserve here, are the main anchor of the city.
Backstory and Context
In 2005, the Navy announced it was ending all activity at the installation and the house was threatened with demolition. Eventually, the Marines acquired the property as part of the Federal City project. Extensive renovations have preserved the house. During this work a canon ball fired from a passing Union ship—during the Civil War—was found lodged in a wall.
*Note: This document was either written for or taken from the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, which has not been digitized as of 2017.
Purpura, Paul. "After a faithful restoration, the Marine Corps' 'Quarters A' in Algiers is ship-shape." Times-Picayune. July 21, 2012. http://www.nola.com/homegarden/index.ssf/2012/07/after_a_faithful_restoration_t.html.