This establishment in Lincoln Park is now a bar and grill, but at one time it operated as a speakeasy. The building is now occupied by John Barleycorn's and has stood in Lincoln Park since 1890. It began as a pub opened by an Irish immigrant moonlighting as a Chicago police officer. During Prohibition, the pub was boarded up on the exterior to appear vacant to the authorities. However there was a full-blown speakeasy operating on the inside. What is now the back room at John Barleycorn's was used to front a Chinese laundry, where bootleggers would roll in laundry carts loaded with booze under stacks of dirty clothes. The liquor was then transported to the basement where it was stored, and drinks were served by bringing bottles up in a small elevator. Costumers entered through the back laundry entrance, since the front of the building was boarded up.