1928 St Rose of Lima Catholic Church
Backstory and Context
In 1926, a Catholic resident of Cheney, Mr. Mike Weippert left $5,000 from his estate for a building fund for a new church. Father Gerald Feisst, resident pastor at the time, appointed Miss Elizabeth Goerling, Al D. Walker, and Mrs. W.R. Bernard, the building and finance committee to work on the construction of a new church.
It was decided to tear down the old Mission Church and erect the new St. Rose of Lima Church on the same site. All the furniture was stored during the construction and Mass was offered on Sundays in the St. Paul's Episcopal Church at 610 C St.
The new structure cost approximately $12,000, and many things from the old church were used in the new including the bell, the beautiful velvet drapes on the doors of the confessional, and the organ.
The new brick church building was dedicated by the Most Reverend Charles D. White, Bishop of the Spokane Diocese on December 8, 1928. The first Mass was offered on Christmas Eve.
This St Rose of Lima church building was used until the construction of a new church on North 5th Street, which was dedicated April 8, 1970.
The stained glass windows were removed from the building before it was sold to the university and was re-dedicated as the Native American Studies department.
Cheney Free Press.