Historical Marker: Creole Firehouse #1
The Creole Firehouse #1 was built in 1869 and designed by architect James H. Hutchisson. It was constructed in 1819 for the first volunteer fire company in Mobile and located in a once thriving Creole community (Creoles were descendants of French, Spanish, and Africans). The building served as an important center of culture for the Creole community, serving as a venue for social gatherings, weddings, mardi gras balls, and other events. The station operated until 1926. As of early 2107, it appears to be unused.
"The Mobile African American Heritage Trail School Bus Tour and Teacher’s Guide." African American Heritage Trail. Revised 2011. http://www.dffaaht.org/pdfs/MAAHT_Docent_Script.pdf.