Owing to its beautiful composition and white color, Aquia Creek sandstone was particularly popular in Washington, D.C., where it was used in the construction of government buildings. In 1791, Pierre Charles L'Enfant purchased the Wigginton quarry on behalf of the U.S. government, which thereafter was known as Government Island. The stone quarried here was shipped up the Potomac River to the U.S. Capitol. Notable examples of D.C. monuments made of Government Island sandstone are the White House, Capitol Building, and the D.C. Boundary Stones, erected from 1791 to 1792 to delimit the official boundaries of the capitol city. Many of the stones are still extant, although heavily eroded. Aquia Creek Sandstone's susceptibility to weathering eventually led to its decline as a preferred building material. By the Civil War, the quarry was worked out and derelict.
The U.S. government sold the property in 1963. Government Island, which was acquired by Stafford County, reopened to the public on November 6, 2010 as a nature preserve and park. The 17-acre park features a boardwalk through the wetlands and woods for observing native flora and fauna, a 1.5-mile trail along the water's edge, and interpretive signage detailing the site's history. It is a designated site on the Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail, a Virginia Landmark (designated 2003), and listed on the National Register of Historic Places (added 2007).