After the school house had been abandoned, the volunteer Friends of the Black Forest Log School began work to have the school restored. In 1992, they submitted an application to the National Register of Historic Places. Community residents volunteered time and donated monies to restore the school. Boy scouts replaced chinking and stained the logs. The Colorado Historical Fund provided funds for much of the major renovation work. It took 2 years to complete the work on the interior. Some of the original structure remains, such as all but 2 of the original logs and the wooden floor. A new foundation was built to solve a drainage problem. The school house was restored by 2000 with a pot-bellied stove, chalkboard, desks, coal, toys and school supplies. The school house is used for community activities, such as pot lucks, story times and holiday events. Tours are given by the Friends of the Black Forest Log School from 12 to 3 on Thursdays in the summer.
The Friends of the Black School Log House was incorporated in 2009.n 2012, a 90th anniversary celebration was held during the summer. The building had several public openings and celebrations, including games of hopscotch, tug of war and jump rope. Near the school house are other log buildings, including a Black Forest store built in the late 1920s, a Community Hall completed in 1929, and a log church completed in 1940.