Armistice - Memorial to Peace
Armistice - Memorial to Peace. Dedicated in 2016, honoring the end of war, placed here in remembrance of the veterans that have called Veterans Memorial Hall home for over 100 years.
Backstory and Context
Honoring the end of war, placed here Nov. 11, 2016 in remembrance of the veterans that have called Veterans Memorial Hall home for over 100 years.
The Statue originally was placed downtown in courthouse square in 1877 by the GAR Aux. Various accounts say it guarded a cannon and a pile of shells at one time in a Rockford Park. It once stood atop a fountain in front of the old County courthouse until the building was torn down in 1967.
It was placed in the lower level Church Street Foyer of the present courthouse in 1970. It was encased in glass by the Rockford Colony, National Society of New England Women, to protect it from vandals in 1975.
In 1984, in a collaborative effort by the Winnebago County board, the Rockford Park District, Greenwood Cemetery, and the North End Businessmen’s Association, the statue was moved to the Auburn and Main intersection. There it was placed on a pillar that was once part of the façade of the original Carnegie Library on Wyman Street.
It was brought to its final location here on Wyman Street at Veterans Memorial Hall and Museum in 2016.