The monument was enhanced in 1907, with the addition of several cannons and a pile of cannonballs. During World War II, these items were selected to be part of a scrap metal drive with proceeds benefitting the United Service Organization. According to a story that ran on October 7, 1942, in the Ohio University Post: In accordance with President (Franklin) Roosevelt's request, the former landmarks were turned over in the nationwide scrap metal campaign. Two cannons and approximately 50 cannonballs were sold to a local scrap dealer for $120.41. The money was turned over to the USO.