Broad Street United Methodist Church was organized in 1875. Originally, the church was housed in a three-room building. It quickly outgrew that. The present building was built in 1885 in High Victorian Gothic style. The church was where President William McKinley and his family worshipped when he was Governor of Ohio. The church is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Architect Joseph Warren Yost designed the building. He chose
the popular Akron Plan for the interior of the building, which featured an
auditorium style sanctuary with a sloping floor as well as individual spaces
for Sunday School rooms. For the exterior, the dominant feature is the green
serpentine stone as the facing on the brick walls. There are pointed-arch bays,
asymmetric massing, and complex gable roofs.
The new building was first used on Easter Sunday in 1885. It’s
windows on the west wall of the sanctuary were first in Central Methodist
Episcopal Church. They were installed at Broad Street in 1936. The windows on
the east wall were designed and installed in 1908 by Von Gerichten Studios of
The exterior got a facelift in 2007-2008. The original
Serpentine on the exterior was replaced by designer stone that was tinted and
textured to resemble the original. The church also features a Feglemaker pipe
organ that was first installed in 1906.