Backstory and Context
The Southern Theatre incorporated many modern elements in its design. Its ceiling of concentric arches created an acoustic system that is still considered impressive. The theater also used electricity, making it one of the first commercial facilities in Columbus to do so. In 1901, the opera house and hotel were struggling to recoup their $1.5 million investment. So, the theater was sold for $235,000 at auction to the Lazarus brothers, Fred and Ralph. They began a series of renovations, including equipping the theater so it could show movies as well as live performances. By 1931, the Southern Theatre had moved away from live performances and toward movies only.
Decades later, the Lazarus family sold the Southern Theater to a realtor who hoped to turn it into apartment buildings and a parking garage. Nothing came of it, however, and the theater closed in 1979. In 1982, the Great Southern Theater and Hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places and purchased by Bill and Barbara Bonner. The couple sold the theater to the Columbus Association for the Performing Arts (CAPA) four years later. Funds from the State of Ohio, City of Columbus, and private donors paid for the renovations to come in the late 1980s and 1990s.
Many of the original features of the theater were carefully preserved. The stained glass in the entryway was restored by the same company, Franklin Art and Glass, that had installed almost a century before. The Edison-style lightbulbs were reproduced, and new dressing rooms were added by lowering the basement floor. After fourteen months of work, the Southern Theater reopened on September 26, 1998. The 925-seat theater is now home to Opera Columbus, Chamber of Music Columbus, the Columbus Jazz Orchestra, and the ProMusica Chamber Orchestra.
Southern Theatre. Touring Ohio. Accessed September 22, 2018. http://touringohio.com/central/franklin/columbus/southern-theatre.html.