Inn at Castle Rock
The Inn at Castle Rock as it appears today
Early-mid 1900s photo of Bisbee. The Inn is located in the center right (across from Castle Rock)
A look at the hillside gardens of the Inn
Another early 1900s photo of Bisbee. The Inn is located in the center left (across from Castle Rock) with a trolly in front of it.
Backstory and Context
By 1880, the mine community grew so much that a post office was in sore need. This post office also indicted that people needed better places to lodge while in the area, especially the miners. Bisbee was then established along the same area that Rucker and Dunn found the seam of copper. In 1895, the town's first mayor, John Joseph Muirhead, had this large and beautiful structure to serve as a boarding house for the many miners. Originally called the Muirhead House, it was soon renamed as the Inn at Castle Rock, a name that has stuck since. As one of Bisbee's largest buildings, it was made to stay forever.
Since 1895, the purpose of the Inn changed. Soon after its construction, it became a hotel for visitors. Then as Bisbee continued to grow, it became apartments for newcomers. Then in the 1980s it went back to serving as a hotel and has stayed as such ever since.