Historical Marker: Congregation of Israel - 1884
This historical marker was dedicated by the Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation and the Nebraska Jewish Historical Society with the support of the city of Omaha Photo by: Jerry Klinger
This temple at Park Avenue and Jackson Street was dedicated in 1908.
Backstory and Context
During the early years, tension between those who hoped to follow conservative Orthodox practices and those who supported the Reform view of Judaism that allows for individual interpretation of beliefs and practices threatened to divide the fledgling congregation. However, being the only members of the Jewish faith in an era of anti-Semitism united members who looked to find compromises on matters of ritual. One of the successes of this era was the establishment of a Sunday School that was free to all- including the children of many non-members.
"Our History." Temple Israel. Accessed December 5, 2015. http://www.templeisraelomaha.com/about-us/our-history.