St. Michael's Hospital and Nurses' Residence
St. Michael's Hospital as of in 2010. The flood wall wraparound was around 2003
St. Michael's Hospital in early 2000, before the flood wall wraparound was added
St. Michael's Hospital circa 1910
Undated colored postcard of St. Michael's Hospital
Backstory and Context
The original roofs on both were replaced in 1953 and the complex was sold to the Sisters of St. Francis and renamed St. Anne's Guest Home. The retirement home accommodated over 100 residents. Unfortunately, in 1978 the State Fire Marshall informed that Sisters that the building no longer met state fire codes and would have to close. In 1981, they moved to a new location leaving the building vacant until 1994. Major interior renovations were undertaken and in 1995, Riverside Manor, a 38 unit Senior Housing complex that has a congregate dining room opened.
A devastating flood in Grand Forks in 1997 resulted in more interior rehabilitation as well as construction of a flood wall that became in integral part of the Red River side (east side) of the building. Completed in 2007, the Greater Grand Forks Greenway provides flood protection to the citizens of Grand Forks as well as providing recreational opportunities.