During the Civil War, the Confederates decided to build an earthen battery on the Winyah Bay where it narrows to 1400 yards. Though not very large, it was fairly substantial and a formidable defensive post featuring 15 guns. It was built in 1862 and manned until the end of 1864. It is located on the Belle Island Yacht Club property but the club allows visitors to the site. Battery White was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
Backstory and Context
Kappy McNulty and Donald R. Sutherland. "Battery White." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places. November 16, 1977. http://focus.nps.gov/GetAsset?assetID=892c96f8-1056-48d1-b227-6f4db7cf2352.