The location was very advantageous: it was situated next to the Ashley River, which was a major traveling and shipping corridor into the colony's interior, and roads here connected to the city of Charleston. As a result, the town eventually became a thriving business hub (interestingly however, despite it being an important hub of economic activity, the population did not grow substantially). The town's decline began in 1756 when most residents fled a possible invasion by the French. The French did not invade but the British built a fort and a powder magazine in 1757, the ruins of which can still be seen today. During the American Revolution, American forces were stationed here but the British captured the fort in 1780. A year later, the British were driven out. Attempts to rebuild the church, which the British burned down, were unsuccessful as was reviving the town, which by then was overshadowed by the town of Summerville. And for a long time, bricks from Dorchester's buildings were used to build other structures. As a result, Dorchester was completely abandoned by 1788.