Stoney-Baynard Plantation Ruins
The Stoney-Baynard Plantation ruins are what remains of what was a once a large house and property. It was built by Captain John "Saucy Jack" Stoney around 1793 (or possibly later, the records are not definitive) in the Georgian style. The house was accompanied by slave quarters which are also in ruins. The structures were built using tabby (a mixture of sand, shells, and lime) and timber. The house was the only mansion built on the island with tabby construction. The site is easily accessible and features an interpretive panel describing the ruins and its history.
Backstory and Context
Union forces occupied the house during the Civil War sometime after 1861 when they captured Hilton Head Island. In 1864 it was noted that the house and other buildings were in poor condition due to lack of maintenance. But the final blow came when the house burned down after the war. As noted above, however, the land itself changed hands several times.
Trinkley, Michael. "Stoney/Baynard Plantation." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places. February 23, 1994. http://focus.nps.gov/GetAsset?assetID=18bedac0-dfbf-4aa4-b26d-1b24c9d99e00.