In the twenith-century, Morris Brown became accredited and expanded with the satellite campuses of Payne College in Cuthbert and the Central Park Normal and Industrial Institute in Savannah. However, financial hardship arrived in 1928. Faced with bankruptcy, the seventh president Reverend W. A. Fountain Jr. closed the satellite campuses and relocated the college on the vacated Atlanta University grounds of Atlanta's West End. After financial recovery, Morris Brown College joined the Atlanta University Center (AUC) in 1941 and undertook more expansion.
In 2002, President Delores Cross and Parvesh Singh, director of financial aid, were involved in an embezzling scandal. Morris Brown College lost its accreditation. Delores Cross pleaded guilty embezzled millions of dollars in federal student aid and Pell grants, which she diverted to pay the school's expenses and debts.